The Need to Know on Lash Shedding Season (And how to ease the blow)Sep 13, 2023
Spring and Fall can be a challenging time for our fabulous lashes! On any given day, we naturally lose 2-5 lashes on each eye. While this is all part of the natural lash life cycle, there’s something you may not already know.
As a licensed Esthetician and experienced Lash Artist, I've seen the impact of lash-shedding season firsthand. For those who aren’t prepared, it’s a shock as those gorgeous lash extensions fall away before our very eyes. That's why preparation is key and education is everything. You’ll find all the tools and information you need to know to keep those flawless sets intact.
What to Expect From the “Typical” Natural Lash Life Cycle
The first stage our lashes experience is the anagen phase. During this phase your lashes are like little sprouts, making their debut. These little sprouts will continue to grow until the end of their lifespan (about 30-45 days).
The next phase is the catagen stage. During this time, your hair follicles shrink and your lashes take it easy, growing more slowly for 2-3 weeks. At this stage, your lashes will be medium length and thickness.
Last but not least, we have the telogen phase. This final phase is when your lashes go all-out, becoming their darkest and coarsest selves before eventually shedding out. New lashes will then take their place after approximately 4-8 weeks.
So, What is Lash Shedding Season and Why Does It Happen?
Lash shedding season marks a period when your lashes tend to shed more frequently. Of course, this can lead to your lash extensions looking a little - well, sparse. But why does this change occur? It’s widely believed that this completely normal period occurs as your body naturally prepares for changing temperatures and it’s likely also influenced by changes in temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors.
How Long Is Lash Shedding Season?
You might be wondering, "How long do I have to deal with the lash loss drama?" Well, here's the scoop: lash shedding season pops up for about 6 weeks in the spring and another 6 weeks in the fall.
How Can Lash Shedding Season Impact Salons or Lash Artists/Estheticians?
If a client has not been prepared for the dreaded shedding season, they may be taken aback when they suddenly start losing more lashes than usual. They may even accuse the lash artist or salon of being to blame if they weren’t educated beforehand. That’s why it’s important to be completely transparent with clients because as I said previously, education is everything. Getting clients prepared for what to expect will reduce that shock factor later and will help highlight a lash artist's or salon’s expertise in the lash field.
First, it’s important that clients are prepared before the dreaded shed. If you know that shed season is coming, get them to buckle up and get ready for the ride. Give them the down-low on everything they need to combat lash shed from more frequent fills to enhanced care. You should also give them a heads-up that fills may take longer due to fewer natural lashes and that they will need to perform more maintenance to keep those stunning lash extensions at their best.
What Can We Do to Ease the Blow?
It may seem daunting, but there are things that you can do to protect and maintain those fluttery beauties. After being in the lash industry for almost a decade, here are my favorite tips to ease the blow of lash shed:
- Scheduling more frequent fills during shedding season: More frequent fills will help combat any sparseness experienced, keeping it to a minimum.
- Temporarily Go Shorter: Going shorter during this 6-week period can help a ton in making any spareness you do experience less noticeable and the lighter weight will be easier on your natural lashes.
- Avoid Tugging or Rubbing Your Lashes: Keeping any pulling or rubbing to a minimum will help you maintain your lashes during this delicate time.
- Keep Your Lashes Extra Clean: Clean lash extensions undoubtedly hold up better over time. This is especially important during this sensitive period of time. Make sure cleaning routines are followed to keep those lashes at their best.
- Invest in a Bomb Sealer like our Lash Expressions Products Professional Sealer: Lash Sealers are like top coats in the nail industry but for your lashes. This vital product acts as a protective barrier against oil, dirt, moisture, and other elements that break down the bond between your lash extensions and your natural lashes. Though sealers are absolutely crucial during lash shedding season, they’re also a great product to use year-round to boost retention.
In conclusion, while spring and fall bring about the challenges of lash shedding season, there's no need to stress. With the right knowledge, preparation, and products, you can maintain those stunning lash extensions and minimize the impact of this natural phenomenon. Don’t forget to snag up our Lash Expressions Products Professional Sealer for that extra protection in order to safeguard our best accessories - our lashes!
Don't miss a Blog Post!
New tips, motivation, and programs announcements delivered to your inbox.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.